April full of fairs: the promotion of pork in Toronto and Tokyo
April was the peak month in the first year of the „Taste it’s from Europe” campaign, promoting pork on the Canadian and Japanese markets. The motto „Let’s Meat” served to organise the campaign’s appearance at the Toronto Food and Drink Market (8th-10th April) and the Japan Meat Industry Fair (13th-15th April).
The promotion stands, organised at the fairs in Toronto and Tokyo, were intended to present the assets of European pork to the local importers, distributors and chain store representatives. What was stressed was its high quality, the standards and safety of its production, as well as the long European tradition of pig farming and meat production. Representatives of the producers’ branch and experts participated in the business meetings with local clients.
True to the assumption that the best way to present the exceptional taste assets of European pork to the local recipients would be to prepare and serve dishes composed of European pork, culinary presentations and tastings were organised at the stands. The chefs did a great job and the presentations were very popular with the fair visitors.
The dishes prepared by the chefs were true to the concept of the campaign, whose chief motto is „Let’s Meat”. The dishes were composed in such a way so as to combine the best traditions of the European and the local – Canadian or Japanese cuisines.
Canadian guests had the opportunity to taste such dishes as:
- Roast bacon with a crusty skin glazed with maple syrup and a smattering of aniseed, fennel and orange,
- Roasted pork neck in plum sauce served with broiled cabbage and tomatoes and a baked potato,
- Spare ribs sous vide in BBQ style with tomato and apple preserve and added cider,
- Minced pork shoulder cutlets in mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes and some „oscypek” (traditional Polish Hihgland sheep cheese),
- Cracovian „machanka” (type of hamburger) made of pork neck with glazed onions and a mini salad.
In Japan, the guests were invited to taste such dishes as:
- Shabu-shabu in crab and white turnip sauce,
- Grilled pork with pepper, in raspberry and grated white raddish sauce,
- Pork jawl in yakiniku style with wasabi,
- Grilled pork in Saikyo miso sauce,
- Yuzu-kosho pork konfyt.
The next fairs to be part of the Taste It’s From Europe campaign are to be held in 2017 – the Japanese Foodex in March and the Canadian SIAL in May.
We invite you to view our photo galleries from the fairs:
We invite all European producers, interested in participating in the campaign and all those who seek information on European pork to contact us.